Every person who files through our service is provided with audit protection. We're here to support you in case of any complications! But what exactly does this mean?
For everyone that files with us, you receive audit protection, which includes:
- Resolution if issues arise due to our software during the filing process. We can help diagnose what went wrong and help to offer options to get your tax filing corrected. We'll also help you correct your tax return if the error was on us.
- Assistance if you receive a written audit notice. We'll provide you with clarification on the reasons behind the audit letter, and guide you on possible follow-up actions.
- Year-round access to our team of tax experts who can answer any inquiries about audits, audit risks, or methods to decrease the probability of being audited.
This general audit protection does not include:
- Amending any type of returns — federal, state, or local
- Providing any form of audit representation
- Services not included in our premium plan
For premium plan users, you receive Audit Guard, which includes:
- Representation by a tax professional during any IRS audits
- For first-time penalties, we'll file a waiver for any penalties that might be imposed by the IRS
- Amend your tax return to maximize your refund amount
- Setting up collection assistance
- Remember, you have access to a real accountant at any time!
There are a few scenarios that we don't cover, and while these circumstances are rare, it's worth noting:
- Coverage of individuals under criminal investigation
- Large business, or complex business structures (such as those generating multi-million dollar revenues)
- Audits for returns not filed with us
I just received an audit letter. Help, what do I do?
- First, breathe! Remember, we're here for you and we'll guide you through each step of the process.
- Collect all documentation you've received, either scan them or take clear pictures.
- Email us at email@example.com from the email address you used for your Keeper subscription. We’ll take it from there!