This reports gambling winnings and any federal income tax withheld from those winnings. If you receive a W-2G, you can report this in the "Income" section of the tax filing flow.
Breaking down the boxes:
- Box 1: Reportable winnings — The value of the prize you won.
- Box 2: Federal income tax withheld — If taxes have been taken out.
- Box 3-14: Various types of gambling winnings — Used to specify the type of wager you made. This can include horse racing, dog racing, keno, poker, slot machines, bingo, and more.
- Box 15: Your name, address, and taxpayer identification number (TIN).
- Box 16: Name, address, and employer identification number (EIN) of the payer.