Tax Forms

Income tax forms

  • 1040-ES, Estimated Tax for Individuals

    This form is used to calculate and pay your estimated tax, which is also commonly referred to as quarterly tax. You pay this on income that is not subject to withholding, including income from self-employment, interest, dividends, rents, and alimony.

    Breaking down the boxes:

    1. Estimated Tax Worksheet: Estimation of the amount of income you expect to receive for the year. You'll also take into account deductions, credits, and taxes you've already paid.

    • Line 1: Expected adjusted gross income (that's total income minus certain adjustments) for the year.
    • Line 2: Expected deductions, like the standard deduction or itemized deductions.
    • Line 3-5: Simple subtraction and addition operations to adjust income.
    • Line 6-8: Involves figuring out your tax using the tax rate schedules.
    • Line 9-14: Credits, self-employment tax, and other taxes.
    • Line 15-16a: Helps figure out if you owe any estimated tax, and how much.

    2. Record of Estimated Tax Payments: The amounts you pay each quarter, and the dates you pay them. This can help you track your payments and make sure you're paying enough throughout the year.

    3. Payment Vouchers (1-4): These are slips that you'll detach and send in with your payment if you're paying by check or money order. Each voucher corresponds to one of the four due dates for estimated tax payments. You'll fill in your name, address, Social Security number, and the amount you're paying.

    Remember, the key to Form 1040-ES is estimation. The numbers you're working with are your best guess for what the year will look like, financially. This is why it's crucial to review and potentially adjust your estimated tax payments throughout the year as your income or deductions change.


  • 1099-B, Proceeds from Broker

    This is issued by brokers or barter exchanges to people who have sold assets during a given tax year. When you sell something for more than it cost you to acquire it, the IRS calls the profit your “capital gain,” and you must pay tax on this amount. The 1099-B form is essentially a record of your sales or trades of certain assets, like stocks, bonds, or commodities. It doesn't directly state your capital gains. Instead, it provides the necessary information for you to calculate them.

    It's also important to note that some brokerages provide composite forms that combine your various types of income into one document for simpler reporting. This can include your income from interest (1099-INT), dividends (1099-DIV), and sales or trades of assets (1099-B). You report these under the "Income" section in the filing flow. 

    Breaking down the boxes:

    • Box 1a: Date you sold or disposed of the security.
    • Box 1b: Might be filled out with the date you acquired the security. It could be blank for older securities.
    • Box 1c: Reserved for future use by the IRS.
    • Box 1d: Proceeds or the money you got when you sold the security.
    • Box 1e: Cost or other basis, often what you paid for the security. Might be adjusted for various reasons.
    • Box 1f: Code if your broker adjusted the basis for reasons other than a wash sale or market discount.
    • Box 1g: Amount of any nondeductible loss from a wash sale or the amount of accrued market discount.
    • Box 2: Indicates if the gain or loss is long-term (held the security for over a year) or short-term (held for a year or less).
    • Box 3: Shows the number of shares sold if the transaction involves stocks.
    • Box 4: Federal income tax withheld — Money your broker already sent to the IRS.
    • Boxes 5-8: Checked if certain situations apply.
    • Box 9-10: Shows the profit or loss on regulated futures or foreign currency contracts.
    • Box 11: Shows the aggregate profit or loss on regulated futures or foreign currency contracts.
    • Box 12-14: State tax withholding information.
  • 1099-DIV, Dividends and Distributions

    This reports dividends from investments if you've made more than $10. Heads up: Dividends on your account at a credit union don't count. (They’re technically reported as interest instead.) We’ll ask you to report dividend income under the "Income" section of the filing flow.

    Breaking down the boxes:

    • Box 1a: Total ordinary dividends — Total of all the ordinary dividends received.
    • Box 1b: Qualified dividends — Dividends that meet certain requirements to be taxed at a lower rate.
    • Box 2a: Total capital gain distributions — Total amount of capital gains distributions, which come from profits on the sale of securities within the fund.
    • Box 2b: Unrecaptured section 1250 gain — A type of gain that relates specifically to depreciable real estate.
    • Box 2c: Section 1202 gain — Represents a capital gain from certain small business stocks.
    • Box 2d: Collectibles (28%) gain — Gain from the sale of collectibles, which is taxed at a maximum rate of 28%.
    • Box 3: Nondividend distributions — Distributions that are not paid out of the earnings and profits of a corporation or a mutual fund.
    • Box 4: Federal income tax withheld — Backup withholding that was taken out of your dividend payments.
    • Box 5: Investment expenses — Your share of expenses from an investment company, and they are usually deductible.
    • Box 6: Foreign tax paid — Any tax paid to a foreign country on foreign investments.
    • Box 7: Foreign country or U.S. possession — Where the foreign country or U.S. possession where the foreign tax was paid is identified.
    • Boxes 8-11: Cash and noncash liquidation distributions — Amounts received during liquidations.
    • Boxes 12-14: Exempt-interest dividends and specified private activity bond interest dividends — Relate to certain types of exempt-interest dividends.
  • 1099-G, Certain Government Payments

    This reports payments from the government, whether it comes from the local, state, or federal level. Expect one if you've received assistance from the government, like unemployment benefits. We'll ask you about this within the "Income" section of the filing flow. 

    Breaking down the boxes:

    • Box 1: Unemployment compensation —  Money received from the government because you were unemployed.
    • Box 2: State or local income tax refunds, credits, or offsets —  A refund of state or local income taxes last year will show up here.
    • Box 3: Box 2 Amount is for tax year — Indicates the tax year the refund, credit, or offset applies to.
    • Box 4: Federal income tax withheld — If any federal tax was already taken out of your payments.
    • Box 5: RTAA payments — Reports payments under the Reemployment Trade Adjustment Assistance (RTAA) program.
    • Box 6: Taxable grants — If you received a taxable grant from a government agency.
    • Box 7: Agriculture payments — Payments from the Department of Agriculture.
    • Box 8: Trade or business Income (Checkbox) — If checked, Box 6 or 7 amounts are considered to be trade or business income.
    • Box 9: Market gain — Reports market gain associated with Commodity Credit Corporation (CCC) loans.
    • Box 10: State tax withheld — State tax was taken out of payments.
    • Box 11: State/payer's state number — Payer's state identification number goes.
    • Box 12: State distribution — Report the amount of the state tax refund.
  • 1099-INT, Interest Income

    This reports more than $10 in interest from a financial institution, like a brokerage, mutual fund, or bank. You can add your 1099-INT in the "Income" section of the filing flow.

    Breaking down the boxes:

    • Box 1: Taxable interest not included in box 3 is reported here. Might include interest from a bank account or a certificate of deposit.
    • Box 2: Early withdrawal penalties. If you withdraw money from a time-based deposit before it matures, you might have to pay a penalty, which is deductible.
    • Box 3: Interest on U.S. savings bonds and treasury obligations, which might be exempt from state or local taxes.
    • Box 4: Federal tax withheld at source, also known as backup withholding. If you didn't provide your Social Security number to the payer, or if you're subject to backup withholding, the payer may withhold taxes from your interest income at a flat rate.
    • Box 5: Investment expenses (for instances where you own a share of a taxable bond trust and would receive a prorated share of the investment expenses of the trust).
    • Box 6: Foreign tax paid.
    • Box 7: Foreign country or U.S. possession where tax was paid.
    • Box 8: Tax-exempt interest — This might include interest from a municipal bond.
    • Box 9: Specified private activity bond interest — These bonds are used by municipalities to attract private investment for projects that have some public benefit.
    • Box 10: Market discount on bonds.
    • Box 11: Bond premium.
    • Box 12: Bond premium on Treasury obligations.
    • Box 13: Bond premium on tax-exempt bond.
    • Box 14: Tax-exempt and tax credit bond CUSIP number.
    • Box 15: State
    • Box 16: State identification number.
    • Box 17: State tax withheld.
  • 1099-K, Payment Card Transactions

    This form reports payments made through credit cards and apps such as Venmo, PayPal, and Shopify. Companies like Uber and Lyft also issue 1099-K’s. 

    For 2023 and prior years, third-party payment platforms like PayPal are only required to send out Forms 1099-K to taxpayers who receive over $20,000 and have over 200 transactions.

    For tax year 2024, the IRS plans for a threshold of $5,000 to phase in reporting requirements.

    Because of this, you should consider using separate accounts for business and personal to make it easier to track what transactions are for business and what are personal. You can enter your 1099-K in the filing flow under Income > Freelance income. 

    Breaking down the boxes:

    • Box 1a: Gross payment volume for all payment transactions.
    • Box 1b: Card-not-present transactions.
    • Box 2: Merchant category code.
    • Box 3: Number of payment transactions.
    • Box 4: Federal income tax withheld.
    • Boxes 5a-5l: Gross payments by month.
    • Box 6: State tax withheld.
    • Box 7: Merchant's name, address, and account number.
    • Boxes 8-11: State information.
    • PSE’s name and telephone number: Who you contact if you notice a mistake on your 1099-K.
  • See all 12 articles

Credit tax forms

  • CTC, Child Tax Credit

    The Child Tax Credit is a program designed to offer financial help to families with children. It provides a tax break to eligible parents or guardians which reduces their tax bill or increases their refund.

    We ask about this under "Credits and Deductions" > Child tax credit.

    Here's what you need to know about the credit:

    • The Child Tax Credit can either reduce the amount of income tax you owe or provide a refund if you don't owe any taxes.
    • The amount varies, depending on factors like your income, filing status, and the number of children you have. See the current IRS guidelines here:
      To be eligible, you must have at least one child who's under the age of 17 by the end of the tax year and who has a valid Social Security number — meaning they're a US citizen or permanent resident.
    • To claim it, just file your taxes by going through the flow. We'll automatically add it to your return based on the income and household details.
  • Form 8863, Education Credits

    ​​This tax form allows eligible taxpayers to reduce their tax liability by claiming credits for qualified education expenses they paid during the tax year.

    Form 8863 is used to claim one of two main education credits: the American Opportunity Credit and the Lifetime Learning Credit.

    American Opportunity Credit: Available for eligible students pursuing a degree or other recognized educational credential. It provides a credit of up to $2,500 per student per year for the first four years of post-secondary education.

    Lifetime Learning Credit: Available for both undergraduate and graduate students, as well as those taking courses to acquire or improve job skills. It provides a credit of up to $2,000 per tax return, regardless of the number of students.

    To claim either credit, you must meet certain eligibility requirements. These include:

    • Being enrolled at an eligible educational institution.
    • Being in a degree, certificate, or other recognized educational credential program (for the American Opportunity Credit).
    • Having paid qualified education expenses, such as tuition, fees, and required course materials.
    • Meeting income limits and other criteria specified by the IRS

    You donʻt have to worry about filling out this form when you file with us. Just be sure to include your school information under the "Credits and deductions" section of the filing flow so we can determine which credits you are eligible for.

  • Form 8880, Credit for Qualified Retirement Savings Contributions

    This tax form is used to claim the Credit for Qualified Retirement Savings Contributions. It's designed to encourage those with lower incomes to save for retirement. Eligible plans include:

    • Traditional IRAs
    • 401(k)s
    • 403(b)s
    • Thrift Savings Plan (TSP)

    To be eligible for the credit, you must meet certain requirements, including:

    • Being at least 18 years old.
    • Not being a full-time student.
    • Having adjusted gross income (AGI) below a certain limit, which is determined each year by the IRS. The specific income thresholds may vary depending on your filing status.

    The credit amount is a percentage of the contributions you made to your eligible retirement savings plans during the tax year, up to a certain limit. The percentage ranges from 10% to 50%, depending on your income level and filing status. The maximum eligible contribution for the credit is $2,000 per taxpayer.

    To claim the credit, report your IRA information under the "Credits and deductions" section in the filing flow of the app. We will help you determine whether or not you are eligible for the credit.

  • Form 8812, Credits for Qualifying Children and Other Dependents

    Your eligibility for the Child Tax Credit is determined by the information you report in the “Household Details” section of the filing flow, which you can find under Household Details.

    A refundable tax credit is a type of credit that can reduce a taxpayer's liability beyond zero, resulting in the possibility of a refund. 

    The Credits for Qualifying Children and Other Dependents include:

    • Child Tax Credit 
    • Additional Child Tax Credit
    • Credit for Other Dependents
    • Earned Income Credit 

    These credits can help reduce your tax liability or provide a refund based on your eligibility. To determine your eligibility and calculate these credits, just be sure you’ve included all of your information, including your income and dependents, on your return. Based on this, we’ll automatically help you apply for any credits youʻre eligible for.

  • Form 8835, Renewable Electricity Credit

    This credit is available to individuals or businesses that generate electricity from qualified renewable resources, such as wind, biomass, geothermal, landfill gas, hydropower, and solar energy. You'll report renewable energy under the "Credits and deductions" section of the filing flow.

    Here are some tidbits to remember:

    1. This credit encourages homeowners and business owners to invest in clean energy sources.

    2. To claim the credit, you must meet certain requirements, including:

      a. Owning a qualified renewable energy facility that generates electricity. This could include wind farms, solar farms, geothermal power plants, and hydropower plants, among others.

      b. Beginning construction or placing the facility into service before a specific deadline. The IRS sets deadlines for each renewable resource type, and it's important to adhere to them.

      c. Meeting specific production requirements. The amount of credit you can claim may be based on the electricity produced by the facility.

    3. The credit amount varies depending on the type of renewable resource used and the date the facility was placed in service. The credit is calculated based on the kilowatt-hours of electricity produced from qualified sources.

    4. To claim the credit when filing in the Keeper app, just be sure to add your Renewable Energy information under the "Credits and deductions" section of the filing flow.
  • Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit (PTC)

    The PTC is a tax credit provided to eligible individuals and families who obtained health insurance coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace.

    Here are some important points about Form 8962 and the Premium Tax Credit:

    1. The Premium Tax Credit is calculated based on your income, household size, and the cost of premiums for a benchmark health insurance plan in your area. The credit will limit the amount you pay for premiums to a certain percentage of your income.

    2. When you file your return with us, you’ll need information from Form 1095-A, which is sent to you by the Marketplace. Form 1095-A provides details about your health insurance coverage, including the premiums you paid and any advance premium tax credits you received.

      Health insurance premiums are the amounts you pay, often monthly, for your health insurance coverage. An advance premium tax credit (APTC), on the other hand, is a type of subsidy provided by the federal government to help eligible individuals or families with low to moderate income afford health insurance premiums. This tax credit is applied in advance, directly to your monthly premiums, which lowers the amount you have to pay out-of-pocket for your health insurance. This will allow us to properly report your credit when you file.

    This credit is used to reconcile the credits you received throughout the year with the actual credit you’re eligible for at tax time. If the advance payments were too high or your income was higher than estimated, you may need to repay a portion of the credit. On the other hand, if your income was lower than expected, you may be eligible for a larger credit. Be sure to enter your healthcare information under the "Credits and deductions" section in the filing flow so we can determine your eligibility for the PTC.

  • See all 7 articles

Schedules within tax forms

  • Schedule 1, Additional Income and Adjustments to Income

    This Schedule is an additional form that captures sources of income or deductions that aren't reported on your main 1040 tax form.

    Additional Income: This part is where you report types of income not covered on the main Form 1040. Here are some common examples:

    • Alimony: If you received alimony payments you report that here. Note that, for divorce or separation agreements made or changed after 2018, alimony isn't deductible by the payer or taxable for the recipient.
    • Business income: If you're self-employed or run a small business, the profit from that is reported here. This usually comes from a Schedule C .
    • Rental real estate, royalties, partnerships, S corporations, trusts, etc.: Income from any of these sources is reported here. You'll typically fill out a Schedule E for these.
    • Unemployment compensation: If you received unemployment benefits, you report them here.

    Adjustments to Income: These are also known as above-the-line deductions, which are deductions that you can take to reduce your overall taxable income. Some examples include:

    • Educator expenses: If you're a teacher and you've spent your own money on classroom supplies, you might be able to deduct some of those expenses.

    • Health Savings Account deduction: If you contribute to a Health Savings Account (HSA), you may be able to deduct these contributions.

    • Self-employment tax: If you're self-employed, you can deduct half of the Social Security and Medicare  taxes you paid here.

    • Student loan interest deduction: You can deduct the interest you paid on student loans during the year, up to $2,500.

    After you've filled out the relevant parts of Schedule 1, you add the additional income to the income reported on Form 1040 and then subtract your adjustments to income. The result gives you your adjusted gross income (AGI), which you report on your Form 1040.

  • Schedule 2, Additional Taxes

    This schedule is used to report additional taxes owed that aren't covered on the main Form 1040.

    • Alternative minimum tax (AMT): A separate tax calculation designed to ensure that higher-income earners still pay a minimum amount of tax, especially if they have many deductions or tax credits that would otherwise lower their tax bill significantly.
    • Excess advance premium tax credit repayment: Applies if you receive health coverage through a Health Insurance Marketplace. If you received more Advance Premium Tax Credit than you qualify for based on your final yearly income, you might need to pay back the excess.
    • Self-employment tax: Social Security and Medicare tax for people who work for themselves. Normally, these taxes are split between employers and employees, but if you're self-employed, you're responsible for both portions.
    • Household employment taxes: If you paid a household employee (like a nanny or a housekeeper) more than a certain amount, you might owe this "Nanny tax."
    • Additional tax on IRAs, other qualified retirement plans, etc.: If you took an early distribution from a retirement plan or IRA, or if you didn't take a required minimum distribution, you might owe additional tax.
    • Net investment income tax: High-income taxpayers may be subject to an additional 3.8% tax on some or all of their net investment income.
    • Additional Medicare Tax: An additional 0.9% tax that applies to individuals with an income above a certain threshold.
    • Other taxes: Here, you can report taxes from Forms 8959, 8960, and other sources.

    Remember, you don't need to fill out every part of Schedule 2 — just the parts that apply to your situation. After completing the form, you add up all these additional taxes and include this total on your main Form 1040.

  • Schedule 3, Additional Credits and Payments

    This Schedule is used to report certain tax credits and payments that aren't included in the main Form 1040.

    Part I: Nonrefundable Credits: These credits can reduce the amount of tax you owe to zero, but won’t provide a refund if they're worth more than your total tax liability.. Common nonrefundable credits on Schedule 3 include:

    • Foreign tax credit: If you paid taxes to a foreign country.
    • Credit for child and dependent care expenses: If you paid someone to care for your child or another dependent while you worked or looked for work.
    • Education credits: There are two education credits (the American Opportunity Credit and the Lifetime Learning Credit) which may be available if you, your spouse, or your dependents attended post-secondary school.
    • Retirement savings contributions credit (saver's Credit): For lower-income taxpayers who contribute to a retirement plan.

    Part II: Other payments and refundable credits: These credits are called “refundable” because if they reduce your tax liability below zero, you can receive the balance as a refund. They include:

    • Health coverage tax credit: Helps eligible individuals and families pay for certain types of health insurance coverage.
    • Excess Social Security and tier 1 RRTA tax withheld: If you had multiple employers and they collectively withheld too much Social Security tax or Railroad Retirement Tax Act (RRTA) tax, you can claim the excess here.
    • Credits from Form 2439, 8885, or other forms: Credits reported on these forms would be entered here.

    After you've filled out the relevant sections of Schedule 3, you add up your credits and payments and include this total on your main Form 1040.

  • Schedule A, Itemized Deductions

    This form allows you to detail specific expenses you incurred throughout the year that you want to deduct from your taxable income. It's an alternative to taking the standard deduction, which is a flat dollar amount that all taxpayers can deduct, regardless of their expenses.

    You would typically choose to itemize your deductions on Schedule A if the total amount of your itemized deductions is greater than the standard deduction for your filing status.

    • Medical and dental expenses: Deductible out-of-pocket medical and dental expenses that exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income (AGI). These expenses might include fees paid to doctors, dentists, surgeons, psychologists, and nontraditional medical practitioners; inpatient hospital care or residential nursing home care; and premiums for health insurance, to name a few.
    • State and local taxes: Deductible state, local income taxes, or sales taxes (but not both), plus property taxes. There's a limit to how much of these taxes you can deduct.
    • Interest you paid: Deductible mortgage interest paid on a loan secured by your main home or a second home. You may also be able to deduct investment interest expenses.
    • Gifts to charity: Donations to eligible charities. These  can be cash but can also include property or even mileage driven for charitable service.
    • Casualty and theft losses: Property losses due to a theft or a federally declared disaster can be deducted here.
  • Schedule B, Interest and Dividend Income

    This form is used to list the interest and dividend income a taxpayer received during the tax year.

    • Interest: Lists the total interest income you received for the year. This might include interest from savings accounts, certificates of deposit (CDs), bonds, or any other type of investment. If you received more than $1,500 in total interest for the year, you're required to fill out this part of Schedule B. You need to list each payer (like a bank or corporation) separately, plus the amount they paid you.
    • Ordinary Dividends: Payments you receive from owning stocks or mutual funds. Just like with interest, if you received more than $1,500 in dividends during the year, you're required to fill out this section of Schedule B. You need to list each payer and the amount they paid you.

    After listing all your interest and dividends and summing them up, you then carry these totals over to your Form 1040.

    Remember, it's important to report all of your interest and dividend income, even if it's less than $1,500. Also, keep in mind that some interest and dividends can be tax-exempt or taxed at special rates.

  • Schedule C, Profit or Loss from Business

    This form is used by sole proprietors (i.e., individuals who own their own businesses) to report income or loss from their business operations.

    • Part I - Income: All the money your business made during the tax year. This includes both cash and non-cash income.

    • Part II - Expenses: Lst the costs of doing business. These are all subtracted from your income.

    • Part III - Cost of goods sold: Calculate the cost of all goods sold during the year, which is also subtracted from your income. This involves listing your inventory at the beginning of the year, new purchases, and your inventory at the end of the year.

    • Part IV - Information on your vehicle: If you're claiming vehicle expenses, you'll need to provide information about your vehicle and its business use here.

    • Part V - Other expenses: Any business expenses that didn't fit into the categories in Part II.

    After you've filled out all the relevant parts of Schedule C, you figure out your net profit or loss (your income minus your expenses and cost of goods sold) and report this on your Form 1040.

  • See all 9 articles

Miscellaneous tax forms

  • Form 1095, Health Insurance Coverage

    Form 1095 is actually composed of three different forms that report information regarding your health insurance information. You may receive a 1095-A, 1095-B, or 1095-C.

    • Form 1095-A: Issued to individuals who enrolled in a qualified health plan through the Marketplace. It provides information about the coverage, premium amounts, and any advance premium tax credits received. This is the most important Form 1095, as you’ll need to report the information from this form in the “Credits and deductions” section of the filing flow in the app.
    • Form 1095-B: Typically sent by health insurance providers, including insurance companies, government-sponsored programs, and self-insured employers. It reports information about the health insurance plan, including the months of coverage. Form 1095-B is used to verify that you and your dependents had the minimum coverage. You don’t need to report it on your return.
    • Form 1095-C: This form is provided by an employer. It reports information about the health insurance coverage offered to employees, including the months of coverage and any applicable employer contributions. This form is intended for your records and does not need to be reported when you file your return.
  • Form 1098, Mortgage Interest Statement

    If you have a mortgage on your home, your lender or mortgage servicer will provide you with this form. Include this information when you file in the "Credits and deductions" section of the app.

  • 1098 E, Student Loan Interest Statement

    If you made payments on a qualified student loan, the lender or loan servicer will provide you with this form. The student loan interest you paid may be eligible for a deduction on your federal income tax return, subject to certain income limitations.

  • 1098-T, Tuition Statement

    Form 1098-T provides information on the amounts paid for tuition, scholarships or grants received, and other educational expenses. It’s used to determine if the taxpayer is eligible for education-related tax credits or deductions, such as the American Opportunity Credit or Lifetime Learning Credit. You can report the information on this form under the "Credits and deductions" section of the filing flow in the app.

    To learn more we have a blog about this — Tax breaks for college tuition.

  • Form 4868, Federal Tax Extension

    This is the form you use to request an extension for filing your taxes. It gives you an additional six months to submit your tax return to the IRS.

    Here are some important points about Form 4868:

    • Extended filing deadline: The regular due date for individual tax returns is typically April 15th (or the next business day if April 15th falls on a weekend or holiday). By submitting Form 4868, you can extend the filing deadline to October 15th.
    • Filing requirements: To request an extension using Form 4868, you need to provide your personal information, including your name, address, Social Security number (or taxpayer identification number), and an estimate of your total tax liability for the tax year.
    • Automatic extension: The extension granted is automatic, meaning that as long as you submit the form by the original due date of your tax return, you will automatically receive the additional six months to file. It’s good to note that the extension only applies to the filing deadline, not the payment deadline. Any taxes owed are still due by the original deadline if you want to avoid potential penalties and interest.
    • E-filing: Head over to the IRS link below to find more information on the extension and how to file electronically:
  • Form 8879, IRS e-file Signature Authorization

    This form is used to authorize and confirm the electronic filing of your federal income tax return. When you file your tax return electronically, the IRS requires your consent and authentication to ensure the accuracy and validity of your submission.

    Here are some important things to remember:

    • Electronic filing: Form 8879 is specifically used for electronically filed tax returns. If you choose to e-file your tax return, you’ll need to sign and submit Form 8879 to authorize the electronic transmission of your return to the IRS. This will be one of the very last things you do when filing with us. We take the stress out of having you fill out the entire form — you’ll just e-sign within the filing flow, and weʻll include your Form 8879 form along with your return when itʻs submitted to the IRS.
    • Reviewing your return: Before signing Form 8879, it's crucial to carefully review your tax return to ensure that all the information is accurate and complete. Confirm that your personal details, income, deductions, and credits are correctly reported.
    • Retaining records: After signing Form 8879 and submitting it to your tax preparer or e-filing service, it is important to keep a copy of the form and all supporting documentation for your records. This includes copies of your tax return and any relevant documents used to prepare your return.
  • See all 15 articles

Supplementary tax forms

  • Form 1040, Income Adjustments on Form 1040

    This form is used to file your annual income tax return and includes several lines where certain types of income are reported, as well as adjustments (also known as above-the-line deductions) to your income.

    • Filing Status: The form starts checking your filing status Single, Married filing jointly, Married filing separately, Head of Household, or Qualifying surviving spouse.
    • Personal Information: Name, Social Security number, address.
    • Digital Assets: Declared if you received, sold, or disposed of any digital assets in 20XX.
    • Standard Deduction: Checked if anyone can claim you or your spouse as a dependent and if you are blind or were born before January 2, 1958.
    • Dependents: Here, list your dependents, their social security numbers, their relationship to you, and whether they qualify for certain tax credits.
    • Income: Reporting your income from various sources including wages, interest, dividends, IRA distributions, pensions, social security benefits, and other income.
    • Adjustments to Income: Lists adjustments to your income (from Schedule 1), which might lower your tax liability.
    • Standard Deduction or Itemized Deductions: Reports if you took the standard deduction or itemize your deductions.
    • Qualified Business Income Deduction: If you have income from a business, you may be eligible for this deduction.
    • Tax and Credits: This part is for computing your tax, claiming credits, and determining your total tax.
    • Payments: This is where you report the amount of federal income tax that has been withheld, any estimated tax payments you made, and any refundable credits you're claiming.
    • Refund or Amount You Owe: Based on your total tax and total payments, you either have an overpayment (which may be refunded to you or applied to next year's estimated tax) or you owe additional tax.
    • Third Party Designee: If you want to allow another person to discuss this return with the IRS, you can designate them in this section.
    • Signature: You and your spouse (if filing jointly) need to sign and date the form, declare your occupation, and provide contact information.
    • Paid Preparer Use Only: If a paid preparer completed the form, they provide their information in this section.

    Along with Form 1040, there may be additional schedules and forms with your tax return, depending on your individual financial circumstances.

  • Auto Expense Worksheet, Vehicle Business Expense Tracking

    This form is for your records only. It shows the business-related expenses, mileage, and property tax calculations associated with your business-use vehicle. We’ll provide this information along with your tax return if you use your car for business purposes.

    • Profession/Business: Description of the business.
    • Description: Vehicle type.
    • Date: Date placed in service.

    • Total miles your vehicle was used: Total business miles, commuting miles, other miles driven, and total miles driven during the year.

    • Business use percentage: Business percentage for the year can be calculated by dividing the business miles driven by the total miles driven and then multiplying by 100 to get a percentage.

    • Expenses: Car expenses are listed by category with the total and the business use percentage.

    • Expense Total Amount: Business percentage total amount.

    • Standard mileage rate calculations: Business miles driven, parking fees, tolls, interest, personal property tax, and the total standard mile rate deduction.

    • How it is reported: Depreciation deduction, auto expense, personal property taxes, and Schedule A, Line 5c.

    This is helpful for small business owners, independent contractors, and employees who use a personal vehicle for business purposes to see the totals for your tax-deductible vehicle expenses.

  • Form 1045, Application for Tentative Refund

    This form is for individuals, estates, and trusts with certain types of losses that could qualify them for a tax refund. It’s divided into several schedules, supplementary parts of the form used to calculate the amount of your refund.

    • Personal Information: Name, address, and social security number or employer identification number.

    • Reason for Filing: Here, we indicate why you're applying for a refund, such as a net operating loss (NOL), unused general business credit, or a loss due to section 1256 contracts.

    • Tax Years Involved: Specifies the tax years for which you're claiming the refund.

    • Various Questions: These questions are about specific tax situations that might apply to you, such as if you've filed a petition in Tax Court or if any part of the decrease in tax is due to a reportable transaction.

    • Computation of Decrease in Tax: This part is for calculating how much your tax liability decreased as a result of the reasons you listed above.

    • Signature and Paid Preparer Info: This is where you sign the form, and if you paid someone to prepare the form, they also need to sign here.

    • Schedule A - Net Operating Loss (NOL): If deductions for the year are more than income for the year, you may have a net operating loss (NOL). An NOL can be used to lower your tax in another year.

    • Schedule B - NOL Carryover: Typically, NOLs that originate in tax years after 2020 can only be transported forward to subsequent years. However, there's an exception for specific farming losses, which can be carried back two years.

    Form 1045 offers a “tentative” refund because the IRS still needs to approve it. The IRS usually will review the form within 90 days of receipt. Afterwards, it can accept the claim and issue a refund, or deny it.

  • Form 1116, Foreign Tax Credit

    This form is included if you’ve paid certain types of foreign taxes and want to claim a credit against your US income tax.

    This credit helps you avoid double taxation, which would occur if your foreign income is taxed by both the US and the foreign country where you earned the income.

    *We do not support Form 1116, Foreign Tax Credit in our filing flow.

    • Part I – Taxable Income or Loss From Sources Outside the United States: Your foreign income and deductions.
    • Part II – Foreign Taxes Paid or Accrued: The taxes you paid to a foreign government onthe income listed in Part I.
    • Part III – Figuring the Credit: Calculates the maximum limit on your foreign tax credit amount for each specific category of income.
    • Part IV - Summary of Credits From Separate Parts III: Calculates your total foreign tax credit if you have more than one category of income.
  • Form 2210, Underpayment of Estimated Tax by Individuals, Estates, and Trusts

    This form is used if you did not pay enough tax throughout the tax year because your estimated payments or withholdings were too low.

    If you have income from self-employment, investments, rental properties, or other sources, you'll need to make quarterly estimated tax payments if you expect to owe at least $1,000 in tax for the year. Miss these payments, and you'll have to pay an underpayment penalty.

    *We do not support Form 2210, Underpayment of Estimated Tax by Individuals, Estates, and Trusts in our filing flow.

    • Part I – Required Annual Payment: Calculates your required annual payment, which is the smaller of 90% of your current year tax or 100% of your prior year tax (110% if your adjusted gross income on that year's return was more than $150,000, or $75,000 if your filing status was married filing separately). 

    • Part II — Reasons for Filing: Contains checkboxes for different scenarios that require you to file this form. For instance, if you're requesting a waiver for the penalty, or if your income varied throughout the year and the penalty would be reduced or eliminated when figured using the annualized income installment method.

    • Part III – Penalty Computation: Calculates the amount underpaid for each period.

    • Schedule AI — Annualized Income Installment Method: If your income varied during the year, you can reduce or possibly eliminate the penalty by computer your tax payments using the annualized income installment method in Schedule AI, part of Form 2210.

  • Form 2441, Child and Dependent Care Expenses

    This form reports care expenses for children and disabled dependents. These expenses may be eligible for a tax credit that reduces your federal income tax liability. 

    Not all child and dependent care expenses qualify for the credit. Those that do must be expenses that are necessary for the care provider to work or look for work. Additionally, if the care provider is married, generally both spouses must have earned income, unless one spouse was either a full-time student or was physically or mentally incapable of caring for themselves.

    • Part I - Information on Care Provider: Information about the care provider, including the provider's name, address, and identification number (either a Social Security number or an Employer Identification Number).

    • Part II - Credit for Child and Dependent Care Expenses: Credit calculations credit for child and dependent care expenses. The names and social security numbers of your qualifying persons.

    • Part III - Dependent Care Benefits: If you received any dependent care benefits, like those from a Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA) offered by your employer. These are subtracted from the amount of eligible expenses for the child and dependent care credit.

  • See all 18 articles